Architectural / Urban Designer 2+ Years Experience
Experience: 2+ years of experience, Bachelor of Architecture required, Masters in Urban Design preferred. Candidates with more experience are welcome to apply as well.
We are seeking a talented Architectural / Urban Designer with 2+ years of experience to join our growing practice. The candidate is anticipated to work on a variety of projects primarily at the conceptual design level. The primary design assignments will include feasibility studies for urban mixed-use development projects, public realm/streetscape urban design studies and concept phase architectural design. Preferred candidates will have demonstrated experience with these kinds of projects and district-scale urban design (either in practice or academic studios). Thoughtful and creative approaches to non-photorealistic 3D graphic representation is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience doing development project feasibility studies that include typical plans, 3D massing models, and site plans that include solutions to site circulation and parking.
- Ability to think across scales and propose both practical and forward-thinking design prototypes
- Strong graphic representation skills in 2D and 3D
- Proficiency working in AutoCAD, Rhino, and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong time-management skills and ability to work independently and efficiently
- Working knowledge of the typical metrics and dimensions that inform the design of market-driven building types, including multi-family residential, commercial, and life science buildings.
- Parametric modeling using Rhino with Grasshopper plug-ins
- Rendering skills
Utile is a design firm built like a think tank. We thrive on solving complex urban problems in intelligent, pragmatic ways. From theoretical issues that frame policy to the practical implementation of architectural commissions, we develop a rigorous, research-based approach to finding the best answers. Our work yields fresh ways to think about how we develop and build our cities, presented with useful, compelling clarity (it’s why we’re called Utile).
Utile provides opportunities not found at comparable firms. They include:
- A broadly-focused design practice with a diverse set of clients
- A deep understanding of the interrelationship between real estate, regulatory frameworks, and design
- Comprehensive engagement with clients and sub-consultants that provide unparalleled professional development opportunities
- Active participation in business development and proposal-writing
We are experts in urban design, planning, architecture, and interiors. Some of our current urban design and planning projects include master / regional plans for the cities of Nashua and Norwalk, urban resilience and sustainability projects for the City of Boston, and a variety of projects with partners like the MBTA, Everett, Providence, Houston, and Atlanta. Our current architectural projects include a wide range of market-rate and affordable housing located in and around Boston, public library renovations and extensions, and interior designs for several major tech companies.
Utile offers competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans, commuter benefits, and a work environment that thrives on the exchange of ideas and open dialogue. Utile is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a workspace that serves as a home for a community and culture reflective of the diverse populations our work serves. We seek to build an inclusive office and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Please fill out this form and use it to upload your resume, cover letter, and portfolio (10MB max). If you have any further questions feel free to reach out to email@example.com.