Urban Planner (2–5 years experience)
Utile, Inc., one of the leading architecture and urban planning firms in Boston, is seeking one or more ambitious urban planners with demonstrated expertise in spatial analysis, information design, land use policy, and urban development. Strong candidates should have 2–5 years experience in planning, urban design, or a related field. Candidates with more experience are welcome to apply as well.
We’re looking for a candidate with a range of skills and experience and an eagerness to learn. The skills that will be important for any candidate include:
- Public speaking
- Client communication
- Technical and narrative writing
- Project management
The person in this position will work on projects across many different disciplines and topic areas. While candidates do not need to have existing expertise across all of the topics listed below, they should have experience in some categories and interest in others:
- Zoning and state land use regulations
- Innovative public engagement approaches
- Comprehensive municipal plans
- Urban design and public realm improvements
- Housing policy
- Real estate development and financial analysis
The most common software tools that the person in this position will be using include (in order of importance):
- Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign)
- Programming tools (data analysis and web development)
- 3D modeling software (Rhino preferred)
Utile is a design firm built like a think tank. We thrive on solving complex urban problems in intelligent, pragmatic ways. From theoretical issues that frame policy to the practical implementation of architectural commissions, we develop a rigorous, research-based approach to finding the best answers. Our work yields fresh ways to think about how we develop and build our cities, presented with useful, compelling clarity (it’s why we’re called Utile).
We are experts in urban design, planning, architecture, and interiors. Some of our current urban design and planning projects include comprehensive plans for the cities of Beverly and Haverhill, urban resilience and sustainability projects for the City of Boston, and a variety of projects with partners like Hyannis, New Bedford, Providence, and Detroit.
Utile provides opportunities not found at comparable firms. They include:
- A broadly-focused design practice with a diverse set of clients
- Opportunities to work on a range of project types across all phases of design and construction
- A deep understanding of the interrelationship between real estate finance, regulatory frameworks, and design
- Comprehensive engagement with clients and sub-consultants that provide unparalleled professional development opportunities.
- Active participation in business development and proposal-writing
Utile offers competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans, commuter benefits, and a work environment that thrives on the exchange of ideas and open dialogue. The firm is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages a diverse range of candidates to apply.
To apply: send a portfolio and resume (5MB max) and cover letter to email@example.com. Please reference the job title you are applying for in the subject line of the email.