Urban Designer (3+ years experience)
Title: Urban Designer
Location: Utile is currently undergoing plans to open an office in Providence, RI; candidates could be based at our Providence or Boston office however the position will be remote for the time being. For the right candidate we would consider someone outside of the region with the intention to relocate to Boston or Providence within the year.
Experience: 3+ years of experience, Masters in Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture or related field. Candidates with more experience are welcome to apply as well.
Utile is a design firm built like a think tank. We thrive on solving complex urban problems in intelligent, pragmatic ways. From theoretical issues that frame policy to the practical implementation of architectural commissions, we develop a rigorous, research-based approach to finding the best answers. Our work yields fresh ways to think about how we develop and build our cities, presented with useful, compelling clarity (it’s why we’re called Utile).
Utile provides opportunities not found at comparable firms. They include:
- A broadly-focused design practice with a diverse set of clients
- A deep understanding of the interrelationship between real estate, regulatory frameworks, and design
- Comprehensive engagement with clients and sub-consultants that provide unparalleled professional development opportunities
- Active participation in business development and proposal-writing
We are experts in urban design, planning, architecture, and interiors. Some of our current urban design and planning projects include comprehensive plans for the cities of Beverly and Haverhill, urban resilience and sustainability projects for the City of Boston, and a variety of projects with partners like Hyannis, New Bedford, Providence, and Detroit.
We are seeking a talented Urban Designer to join our growing practice with demonstrated expertise in spatial analysis, site analysis and programming, development test fits, and building and street metrics. Strong candidates should have 3+ years experience in urban design, planning, architecture, or a related field. Candidates with more experience are welcome to apply.
- Project management experience, including the ability to lead a multidisciplinary team and work with a wide range of clients
- Strong public speaking, presentation, and technical and narrative writing abilities
- Experience and knowledge of typical metrics and dimensions of building types and street layouts
- Strong visual representation skills including experience with drawing, 3D modeling, and the ability to generate building massings and site plans
- Experience or interest in the following topic areas: Urban design and public realm improvements, real estate development and analysis, and zoning and state land use regulations
- Strong knowledge of 2D drawing and 3D modeling software and Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign)
- Working knowledge of GIS and programming tools (data analysis and web development) are a plus.
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Bilingual abilities are a plus
Utile offers competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans, commuter benefits, and a work environment that thrives on the exchange of ideas and open dialogue. Utile is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a workspace that serves as a home for a community and culture reflective of the diverse populations our work serves. We seek to build an inclusive office and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.