Urban Planner (2+ years experience)
Utile, Inc., one of the leading architecture and urban planning firms in Boston, is seeking one or more ambitious urban planners with demonstrated expertise in spatial analysis, information design, land use policy, and urban development. Candidates should have 2–5 years experience working as either a consultant or with a municipality or government agency.
We’re looking for a candidate with a range of skills and experience and an eagerness to learn. The skills that will be important for any candidate include:
- Public speaking
- Client communication
- Technical and narrative writing
- Project management
The person in this position will work on projects across many different disciplines and topic areas. While candidates do not need to have existing expertise across all of the topics listed below, they should have experience in some categories and interest in others:
- Land use regulations (including both conventional and form-based zoning)
- Waterfront planning and regulations
- Mobility planning
- Housing policy
- Comprehensive municipal plans
- Economic and financial analysis (including business sector analysis and RE financial pro formas)
- Comprehensive municipal plans
- Public/private financing mechanisms (including TIFs and DIFs)
- Innovative public engagement approaches
The most common software tools that the person in this position will be using include (in order of importance):
- Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator and InDesign)
- Programming tools (data analysis and web development)
Utile is a planning and design firm built like a think tank. We thrive on solving complex urban problems in intelligent, pragmatic ways. From theoretical issues that frame policy to the practical implementation of architectural commissions, we develop a rigorous, research-based approach to finding the best answers. Our work yields fresh ways to think about how we plan and build our cities, presented with useful, compelling clarity (it’s why we’re called Utile).
We are experts in planning, urban design, architecture, and interiors. Some of our current planning projects include comprehensive plans for the cities of Worcester and Nashua, waterfront plans for Gloucester and Norwalk Connecticut, zoning projects for Hyannis and Atlanta, and a variety of projects with on-call government clients, including the City of Newton, the I-195 Redevelopment District, and the MBTA.
Utile provides opportunities not found at comparable firms. They include:
- The integration of planning and urban design with a diverse range of municipal and government agency clients
- Opportunities to work on a range of project types, from citywide plans, to district-scale studies, to design guidelines and standards
- A focus on the interrelationship between regulatory frameworks, real estate development, and design outcomes
- Comprehensive engagement with clients and sub-consultants that provide unparalleled professional development opportunities.
- Active participation in business development and proposal-writing
Utile offers competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans, commuter benefits, and a work environment that thrives on the exchange of ideas and open dialogue. The firm is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages a diverse range of candidates to apply.